Protect your family with a surveillance camera.
Video surveillance is a device that has evolved a lot in recent years. Very powerful and versatile, it adapts to both the security needs of a professional and an individual. Consisting of a set of cameras of all types, it ensures the safety of people, goods, and even businesses. You can get them to guarantee the protection of your family. But before choosing the right one for you, here we give you an overview of how a surveillance camera works and the criteria for choosing it.
Presentation and usefulness of the surveillance camera
If you walk into businesses and personal residences today, you’re sure to find cameras at almost every angle. But do you really know what they are for and how they work?
Definition of surveillance camera
Video surveillance generally consists of several cameras that provide a global view of the entire monitored premises. But it is a device that can ensure both internal and external security. The surveillance camera takes care of filming all the movements within its reach, day and night. You will be able to consult the images whenever you want.
In terms of technology, the surveillance camera has been distinguished in recent years by a clear revolution. Now, high-definition models are taking the place of analog cameras. To get a camera today, you will therefore have to go for one that has a D1 or 960 H format, with a resolution of more than 800 lines. For example, you will find different models of quality surveillance cameras from this link.
The main uses of a surveillance camera
Regarding its characteristics, a surveillance camera stands out for its flexibility and its adaptation to all missions. In short, it is useful to prevent intrusion or burglary attempts, to monitor the inside and outside of your home, to protect your family and loved ones. This last point undoubtedly remains one of the fundamental reasons for the installation of the surveillance camera in a residence. When you have to go to the office every morning or go on a trip leaving your children at home, the camera will allow you to continue to keep an eye on them. Thus, in the event of a burglary, you will be alerted on your smartphone and you can immediately call the police without moving. This device will also allow you to review intrusions in your absence, while you are busy or sleeping. Moreover, you can equip the camera with a siren: it will be triggered automatically as soon as it notices a presence in an unauthorized area. With it, your family will fear nothing when you are not there. Likewise, it can help you watch over one of your loved ones who is losing their autonomy. It will detect in particular a fall, a vocal interaction, abnormal behavior, or a sudden movement. It will thus give you the possibility of interacting directly with the person thanks to the microphone and the loudspeaker integrated into the interior camera.
As with other important uses of CCTV camera, you are sure to appreciate their ability to provide security for your business and office premises. The device will be used in particular to deter intrusions in your absence and burglaries in the middle of the night and during the day. In addition, in the event of violations, you will have video evidence to claim your insurance.
How a surveillance camera works
Also called “video protection”, video surveillance is effective thanks to the detection performance of the cameras and their flexibility. New technologies today, allow you to keep your family, your home, and even your business safe. The operating principle remains very simple: video surveillance consists of one or more cameras that continuously film the places to be monitored. It also includes a secure server that is responsible for storing all the images captured for a certain period of time. You will be able to see the images in real-time or come back to consult the old ones. Likewise, you will be able to receive alerts on your smartphone or computer in the event of intrusions, violations, theft, etc.
To give you a better idea of this monitoring device, here are its main features:
- In real-time, you can keep an eye on your surroundings and make sure everything is going well. You can access the various surveillance images from your smartphone, tablet, or computer;
- In the event of absence, you can activate the “activity detection” mode in order to continue to monitor the premises and receive alerts;
- The surveillance camera can detect any abnormal event (human presence, suspicious noise, fall, breakage, etc.) and store the video images for 30 days;
- In the event of a break-in at your home, you can quickly check the cameras to see what’s missing, then contact a security guard;
- You can equip the indoor camera with an alarm siren and a speaker to deter burglars and communicate with your family in case of trouble.
The main advantages of a surveillance camera
Designed to ensure the safety of people and property at all times, the surveillance camera is distinguished today by its many additional features. Moreover, here are some of the advantages of video surveillance that will not leave you indifferent:
- A capacity to store a large number of quality images, which allows you to review at any time the movements in your home, and the people lurking around;
- Reducing the rate of theft and vandalism thanks to the deterrence system integrated into the camera and the detection of intrusions;
- Early detection of problems in your residence and identification of exceptional or suspicious facts;
- Reducing your expenses for security guards and labor. From now on, the surveillance camera watches over your loved ones and your property, and you can then alert the police;
- High efficiency of the surveillance system to detect offenses and thus reduce the crime rate;
- A real flexibility of the surveillance camera that adapts to all situations and facilitates remote supervision;
- Guaranteed safety of your family and property at all times, day and night, and system resistance to any type of hacking.
How to choose your surveillance camera?
Now that you know the advantages of the surveillance camera, it’s time to get one. It will allow you to leave home with peace of mind. But before taking a model, you must take into account some essential criteria.
Types of installation of the surveillance camera
You will find different camera models on the market with different features. To make a successful choice, start by taking into account the types of installations, namely:
- Dummy installation: above all, it deters intrusions, but you can also combine it with real surveillance;
- The local vision installation: it has cameras that send you images in real-time on your computer, your television, or a screen in your home;
- The installation with a mobile vision: it includes IP cameras that send you the images filmed on your smartphone or your computer remotely;
- Installation with a mobile and local vision: it offers better protection and meets all requirements.
The choice between a wired or wireless camera
Here you have the choice between different types of cameras. So think before you decide. Here are the most popular options today:
- The wired camera: equipped with a wired network, it is very reliable for broadcasting images, but it requires heavy installation work;
- The wireless camera: more modern, it is however distinguished by a maximum range beyond which the signal weakens;
- The analog camera or IP camera: this is the oldest. It sends the images as is to the main server which then saves them.
The resolution of the surveillance camera
This criterion determines the fineness of the image you will receive: the higher the resolution, the easier the videos are to use. That of analog cameras ranges from 420 lines to 1,000 lines for high definition models. As for digital cameras, you will find the following resolutions:
- VGA 640 x 480px (pixels);
- SVGA: 800x600px;
- HD 720P: 1280x720px;
- HD 1080P: 1600x1200px;
- HD 3 megapixel: 2048 x 1536px;
- 5 megapixel HD: 2560 x 2048px (this is the best image quality on the market today).
The camera and its power supply
Before you get your camera, know that it must always be connected to a power source. You will find 12 V, 24 V or 220 V models in particular. In the latter case, you will need to provide a waterproof box to place the camera in for outdoor use, in order to avoid short circuits.
You can also purchase IP cameras that are PoE (Power over Ethernet) compatible. These have an RJ45 cable that carries data as well as electricity at the same time. But you will need to equip it with a PoE compatible router.